2 Ingredient Dough Bagels

Update 1/7/18: Due to popular demand, I have added baking instructions without boiling, as well as helpful tips and tricks. Please see below.

This recipe from Slow Roasted Italian has been all over social media this past month! The basic recipe can be used for pizza dough, bread sticks, calzones etc. it’s a great basic dough. I decided to make some bagels with the dough on my Instagram Story and SO many of you reached out asking for the recipe I had to share it. Please check out Donna’s blog for the original recipe! Due to popular demand I have updated the recipe for JUST baking and skipping the boiling, as well as some tips and frequently asked questions! Please see below the recipe! Enjoy!

2 Ingredient Bagels
Makes 2 3sp bagels

Ingredients
1/2 C fat free plain Greek yogurt
1/2 C self rising flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten for an egg wash
Everything seasoning

Directions
1. In a large bowl, add yogurt first, followed by salt and self rising flour. Use a rubber spatula to mix together. It will be crumbly at first which is totally normal. Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and preheat over to 450 degrees.
2. Flour your hands and work surface and begin kneading. I knead my dough in the bowl because its less messy. Knead until you can easily form a ball, about 20-30 turns.
3. Cut the dough in half. Roll each section of dough into a long rope about 1/2-3/4″ in diameter. Pinch the two ends together to form a bagel shape (see below for tips).

Boiling Instructions:
4. Carefully drop the bagels into the boiling water using a spatula so it doesn’t break apart. Allow to boil for about 30-60 seconds (the bagel will float to the top) then flip it over using the spatula and boil for another 30 seconds. At about this time you’ll be thankful you didn’t skip this step because they will get much larger and fluffier.
5. Remove bagels and transfer to a parchment lined cookie tray. Using a basting brush lightly spread the egg wash over the bagel then sprinkle with seasoning of choice. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes (give or take) until golden brown. You may want to broil them to get them a little crispy or crank your oven up to about 550 for 1-2 minutes to brown them a little more.

Baking Instructions Without Boiling:

1. In a large bowl, add yogurt first, followed by salt and self rising flour. Use a rubber spatula to mix together. It will be crumbly at first which is totally normal. (See tips if your dough is too sticky or crumbly). Meanwhile preheat over to 450 degrees.
4. Transfer bagels to a parchment lined cookie tray. Using a basting brush lightly spread the egg wash over the bagel then sprinkle with seasoning of choice. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes (give or take) until golden brown. You may want to broil them to get them a little crispy or crank your oven up to about 550 for 1-2 minutes to brown them a little more.

FAQ:

• If you dough is too sticky add more flour to your hands and your work surface until it is more typical dough texture. Add about a teaspoon at a time and continue kneading until its less sticky.
  • If your dough is too crumbly add more yogurt, a tsp at a time continuing to knead until you reach typical dough texture.
  • If you don’t have self rising flour you can make your own using the following recipe: 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp of salt.
  • If your dough is not coming together to form a bagel shape, you may need to knead the dough at the ends together by folding it into itself. This way the dough can stick together. You want the ends to be as stuck together as possible before entering the boiling water. OR you can form a ball of dough, flatten it a bit with the heel of your hand and cut a hole in the middle!
  • If you don’t want to boil the bagels, please see the baking instructions above. They’re just as good, but not as airy and fluffy as typical bagels.
  • Why do I bake mine at 450 instead of 350? When recipe testing, I found the bagels did not bake through when I baked them at 350.
  • Why do I boil them? Traditional bagels are boiled and then baked. It makes them airier and fluffier. They’re just as tasty baked alone, but I believe even on a diet, why not have a real bagel?
  • If you want to make more this recipe is easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled.
  • If you want to store the bagels they last for up to 3 days in the fridge. I recommend storing them in an airtight ziplock bag.
  • If you want to freeze them, be sure to slice the first, then wrap them in foil or plastic wrap, then store them in an airtight freezer bag.

Tips:

• Drain any extra liquid from the Greek yogurt or your dough will get too sticky!
  • Fage makes for the least tangy tasting bagels. Other brands you may find a more sour dough taste.
  • Make sure if you boil your bagels to have the water at a slow boil, not a rapid one or the bagels are more likely to come apart.
  • Like any bagel these are great toasted! Pop them in the toaster to reheat them and enjoy.

xo,

You Might Also Like

153 Comments

Liza
    December 31, 2017 at 12:39 am

Do you think it would work with regular plain yogurt instead of Greek?

January 4, 2018 at 5:14 pm

I think it would. Be sure to drain the excess water from it so it doesn’t get too sticky. Let me know if it works- I love playing around in the kitchen and seeing what works!

Nancy Gerba
        January 10, 2018 at 5:32 am

My MIL used reg yogurt and only baked them and it worked.

January 13, 2018 at 8:21 pm

That’s good to know! Thanks for sharing!

Alycia
        March 16, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Do you think you could use flavored Greek yogurt? Like peach or blueberry?

March 18, 2018 at 7:14 pm

You can always try! I don’t see why it wouldn’t work!

Kristen
      January 5, 2018 at 3:41 pm

you would definitely have to let the yogurt strain overnight or it will be too messy. Hope you try them!

January 6, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Thanks Kristen! I think so too since its so watery. Glad everyone is enjoying the bagels!

Tara
      January 11, 2018 at 3:21 pm

No. The consistency is too thin and watery. You need a think yogurt

Cathi P
      January 16, 2018 at 1:28 pm

I used Stoneyfield Farms Grassfed plain yogurt instead of Greek yogurt. I drained it in a cheesecloth, in a collander overnight. A 32 oz. container yielded approx. 1 cup of yogurt. I doubled the bagel recipe so this was the exact amount I needed. The bagels came our really good. Not β€œtangy” or sourdough-like in flavor. I did boil first because β€œreal” bagels are always boiled. I topped with sesame seeds/poppy seeds/onion flakes because that is what I had on hand.

January 18, 2018 at 8:15 am

That is so good to know!! Thanks so much for telling me and I’ll be sure to share this. I know a lot of people are turned off by the tangy taste of the greek yogurt. πŸ™‚

Laura
    January 3, 2018 at 10:41 am

GAME CHANGER! Thank you! I saw this on IG and I wanted to see if I could find another blogger doing it. Followed your easy to follow recipe and they’re amazing! Thanks!

January 4, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Thank you so much Laura! I have to tell you when I first joined WW before my insta and blog I was (and still am) a huge fan of your posts on connect! Thanks so much for following my journey and I’m so glad you enjoyed the bagels. They’re sooo good!

Laura
        January 20, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Thank you πŸ’ž for the kind words! Keep the ideas coming!

Andy DiPalma
    January 4, 2018 at 4:25 pm

I now have a project for when the temps drop to -15 Saturday AM (Upstate NY)

Thank you !!

January 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I’m in Philly! I hope you enjoy them!! They’re so yummy!

Beth
    January 6, 2018 at 11:50 am

How many points?

January 6, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Hi Beth if you make 2 bagels out of this recipe they are 3sp each on the new Freestyle program. I post all the points at the top of my recipes and all the recipes are up to date with the new program. I hope you enjoy them! Please let me know on social media if you make them!! πŸ™‚

Rita
    January 6, 2018 at 4:32 pm

I made them today and they were delish. I just had one problem with them, they would not stick together for form a circle.

January 8, 2018 at 2:15 pm

Hi Rita! I am updating the recipe as we speak with some tips, tricks, and baking instructions if you want to skip boiling!

Eren
    January 6, 2018 at 5:03 pm

I’ve been meaning to try these & finally made them today. I was so disappointed! They fell apart in the boiling water so I made some into β€œbagel bites.” I could really taste the tang of the yogurt, and I don’t like yogurt. Too much work for something that was mediocre. I’ll stick with my bagel thins from the store. πŸ™

January 8, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Hi Eren sorry to hear that, but thanks for trying the recipe. I’m updating the recipe now with tips and tricks for those kinds of things. I’ve also noticed that Fage Greek yogurt has the least tangy taste to it when baked in these bagels.

Phyllis
        February 25, 2018 at 6:59 pm

If you can get to a Trader Joe’s store their Plain Greek Non-Fat yogurt has very little tang. Attempting pretzel bite version tonight.

February 26, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Great! Thanks for the tip! I like to use fage because I find its less tangy. Another follower suggested icelandic yogurt, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Ann Dodson
    January 6, 2018 at 8:10 pm

I made the bagels with gluten free flour and had to add a bit of egg to the mixture – it just wasn’t holding together in my first attempt. Second attempt with egg and more flour – success! They really look like bagels and taste awesome!

January 8, 2018 at 2:14 pm

YES! I am so happy to hear that Ann! Can you email me the gluten free verison you made? I would really appreciate being able to share that with some of my friends who cannot eat gluten. My email is [email protected]

So happy you enjoyed the bagels πŸ™‚

Elyse
        January 28, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Ella,
        Could you share the gluten free version that Ann made? I hope to try making the

January 29, 2018 at 3:26 pm

Hi there! She didn’t send me her modifications, but once I am eating grains again I will try to make it with some of the gluten free flour I have on hand and I will let you know πŸ™‚

Crystal Baker
        February 6, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Bella or Ann, would you send me the gluten free version? [email protected]

February 10, 2018 at 10:04 am

Hi Crystal! Here is the recipe I am recommending, follow the same measurements above, but whip one egg white until frothy and combine with the yogurt. I would recommend a gluten free baking flour like Bob’s red mill or Jovial foods baking blend so you get the right consistency. Hope that helps πŸ™‚

• Crystal Baker
            February 12, 2018 at 10:09 am

Thank you! Going to try these today 😊

Marlena
        February 14, 2018 at 10:00 am

Did you ever get the GF recipe? I’m interested in trying this!

February 18, 2018 at 3:17 pm

What I am recommending is: follow the same measurements above, including the ingredients to make your own self rising flour. Whip one egg white until frothy and combine with the yogurt. I would recommend a gluten free baking flour like Bob’s red mill or Jovial foods baking blend so you get the right consistency. Hope that helps

Christi
      January 18, 2018 at 10:58 am

Hi Ann,

I’m GF too and came here looking for suggestions to make these GF. What type GF flour did you use and how much? You also added egg? Thanks!

John Royal
    January 6, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Hello Bella, do you cut each bagel I half for a bit of butter or fat free cream cheese?

January 8, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Hi John, yes I do! I always toast them too. Enjoy πŸ™‚

Merina Ripley
    January 6, 2018 at 11:02 pm

This looks amazing! I might actually be able to eat a bagel again. Where do you buy your seasoning? I’m a huge fan of Epicure. I wonder if they have an Everything seasoning. Where do you find your Everything seasoning? Thanks!

January 8, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Hi Merina I got my seasoning from Trader Joe’s it is called everything but the bagel. I’ve also made my own with the following spices:1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup poppy seeds,3 tablespoons dried onion flakes, 3 tablespoons dried garlic flakes, and 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt. I’m sure Epicure’s is good as well! Enjoy!

Diane Tyson
    January 7, 2018 at 2:14 am

I had one of those bagels . They are awesome. Got of the self rising flour today.

January 8, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Yay!! So glad you enjoyed them and thanks for letting me know πŸ™‚

Crystal Daley
    January 7, 2018 at 12:35 pm

I tried to boil them first like you suggested and the dough just fell apart in the water I know that is how you make real bagels but it just does not work for this type of dough maybe I did something wrong πŸ€”

January 8, 2018 at 2:10 pm

It can be difficult to flip them in the water. Did they fall apart at the ends or all together? Make sure its a slow boil not a rapid boil. I’m going to update the recipe now with some tips, tricks, and baking instructions if you want to skip boiling! πŸ™‚

Sherry Kessler
    January 7, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Just made and ate a piping hot bagel “round “..just delicious!!! I used a cup of each ingredient then baked them in a muffin tin! Have water boiling and dough made for next batch of full size bagels!

January 8, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Yay!! So glad you enjoyed them πŸ™‚ Thanks for letting me know! I love hearing when people make my recipes.

Linda
    January 7, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Bella – These are awesome πŸ‘ Thank you for sharing.

January 8, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Thank you Linda!! SO glad you enjoyed them πŸ™‚

Melanie
    January 7, 2018 at 9:43 pm

I was very excited to make these but have been unsuccessful:( everyone says how easy but I made twice and the insides never cooked:( They were very doughy still, not cooked through. Any suggestions? Thanks!

January 8, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Hi Melanie, baking times can vary based on your oven or where you live. Try baking them for a bit longer. I’ve also noticed that cutting them in half and then popping them in the toaster helps. I’m updating the recipe now to include baking directions without boiling (though I do recommend boiling if you have the time cause it makes them so fluffy!). Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions! πŸ™‚

Gina
    January 7, 2018 at 10:07 pm

I’ve made them successfully, thank you for sharing the recipe!! I find them very sticky and need to use more flour so I can roll them. I’m using Greek yogurt and I’m adding baking powder to regular flour. Am I doing it correctly or can you offer a suggestion? Thanks!!

January 8, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Hi Gina if they are too sticky be sure to add more flour by flouring your hands or your working surface. You don’t want it to be sticky! To make your own self rising flour us the following: 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt or adjust the proportions depending on how many bagels you are making. Hope that helps! πŸ™‚

Gina
        January 13, 2018 at 11:12 am

I think I found β€œmy groove”. I can’t make them fast enough. My 19 yo twin boys eat them like crazy!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

January 13, 2018 at 8:12 pm

YESSS! I love this! Thanks so much for letting me know. πŸ™‚

Dawn
    January 7, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Wondering how long these would stay fresh for in a ziplock. Just made 8 bagels so hoping they will last a few days. TIA

January 8, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Hi Dawn, I think a ziplock bag is perfect! Make sure it’s airtight. Enjoy!!! πŸ™‚

Alida
    January 8, 2018 at 8:58 am

Is it okay to double or more the recipe to get a larger batch? And do they keep ok? I’d like to try making enough for several days so I don’t have to do the baking process repeatedly in the week.

January 8, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Hi there you can definitely make a larger batch! I havent been able to keep them in the house longer than a day or two they are so good! However a friend told me past day 2 or 3 they aren’t as great as the first day or so. Hope that helps!!

Tobi Ahlquist
    January 8, 2018 at 6:21 pm

I made these earlier today & I was hapy with my 1st attempt. I told my sister (who had gastric by-pass surgery) about them. She said she’d need to substitute either almond or coconut flour. Your thoughts on measurements? Thanks!

January 8, 2018 at 9:26 pm

So glad you enjoyed them Tobi!! I have not made it with almond or coconut flour, but I think you could use the same amount of flour. However, almond flour tends to be dense so she might want to consider adding an egg or egg white.

Madeline
    January 9, 2018 at 8:27 am

Bella, I made these bagels yesterday. Thank you for this easy and great tasting recipe. I made them with both methods with and without the boiling water method and have to say the ones in the water looked and tasted just like deli bagels. I am obsessed with the Everything On It Bagel seasoning and even made Cinnamon Raisin ones for my husband. I can’t wait to try the Sesame Chicken recipe posted. So glad I found you!

January 9, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Madeline thank you so much for your kind words! I love hearing from my readers πŸ™‚ Thanks for trying out my recipe. So glad you love them just as much as me and my family do!!

Selma
    January 9, 2018 at 9:01 am

excellent recipe and easy to follow and great explanation. Thank you so much. .How can I get your future recipies? I am so happy I found your site.

January 9, 2018 at 12:54 pm

THank you SO much Selma! I love hearing from my readers. I am working on rolling out a subscribe button very soon! Stay tuned πŸ™‚

joan
    January 9, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Just tried them now, baked for 25 minutes, they were not cooked……putting them back in the oven for another 5 mins or so and see what happens..

January 13, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Hi Joan, thanks for letting me know. Baking is tricky so I would have advised to do the same! The baking time can vary so much depending on your oven, temp of the yogurt and dough, weather etc.. Hope you enjoyed them!!

Nina
    January 10, 2018 at 7:47 pm

FYI that under instructions for bagels without boiling, under #1, it still states to get a pot of water to boil. You may want to remove that part : ) I will be trying these for sure this weekend.

January 13, 2018 at 8:21 pm

LOL! Thanks! Hope you enjoy the bagels. πŸ™‚

Margaret
    January 11, 2018 at 9:13 pm

How would this work in my mixer with the dough hook,if how long do you think I would need to mix

January 13, 2018 at 8:20 pm

I do not have a stand mixer πŸ™ (first thing I’ll be registering for!) However, I looked into it for you and I’m seeing 5 minutes on medium high. I would watch the dough the first time though to make sure you aren’t over kneading them.

Jere Towery
    January 12, 2018 at 10:10 pm

Excellent! 450 oven much better! Thank you for the boiling tip. I lowered the bagel on a spatula and it worked great!

January 13, 2018 at 8:18 pm

So glad that helped! There is an art to boiling a bagel, but the end results are definitely worth it! Thanks so much for letting me know you enjoyed the bagels!

Cathy
    January 12, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! Your directions were PERFECT! I did boil the bagels and had no trouble at all. I used a spatula to flip them and a flat, slotted spoon to take them out. I baked them as directed and they browned nicely. Everything but the bagel is the perfect seasoning for them as well. I used 3 cups of flour and 3 cups of yogurt and put all of it in my mixer with the dough hook. Easy peasy!

January 13, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Cathy- I’m so glad you enjoyed the bagels! A slotted spoon and spatula with slots in it is the way to go. There’s definitely an art to boiling bagels, but its worth it to get that deli style bagel in the end. Thanks so much for letting me know! πŸ™‚

Pam
    January 13, 2018 at 7:57 am

I have made these bagels several times and I am obsessed!!! I tried them by straining the Greek yogurt n not n it’s really not necessary to strain. I tried them in the oven n in my halogen oven (similar to an air fryer). Prefer the oven and I cook at 350 for 25 minds n broil for 3 mins. Will have to try at 450 as you suggest. The halogen oven – the top burns a bit trying to get the center cooked but they rise a bit more than the oven. Thank you so much for sharing these – love them.

January 13, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you love them as much as me Pam! πŸ™‚

Lindsey
    January 13, 2018 at 8:25 am

I’m so sad!! My bagels completely fell apart in the boiling water. Why??

January 13, 2018 at 8:15 pm

I’m sorry to hear that Lindsey! Was the water at a rapid boil and were the ends of the bagels securely kneaded together? Usually when I hear that they didn’t stay together in the boiling water bath those are the two reasons why. Hope that helps!

Joyce Ottati
        April 1, 2018 at 11:12 am

I didn’t boil them I just baked them instead so far they look great. I read to bake them on the top shelf of the oven which I did, my question is why they didn’t rise fatter. Yes I am using the aunt Melina self rising flour. They look more like pretzels. Either way they still look good.

susy
    January 13, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Do you know if you can make dough in advance before boiling and baking and also have you tried freezing dough yet?

January 13, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Hi Susy you can definitely make it in advance and store in the fridge. I would wrap it up in plastic wrap and then store in a ziplock, just to maintain the flavor. Try to let the dough come close to room temp before baking or it won’t bake well. I have not tried freezing the dough, BUT you can freeze the bagels and reheat later. Hope that’s helpful!!

Easy Bagel Recipe | Skinnytaste | Viral Media
    January 14, 2018 at 1:01 pm

[…] out all weekend in my oven and air fryer, with several types of flours after discovering out about these Greek yogurt bagels that are all of the rave within the Weight Watcher neighborhood (Only three […]

Amy
    January 14, 2018 at 2:26 pm

I’m not a big fan of Everything Bagels. Is there something else you would recommend topping them with? Thanks! Can’t wait to try!

January 14, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Hi Amy, one of my coworkers made cinnamon raisin bagels using this recipe. I personally like garlic or onion bagels. You can use minced dried onion or garlic for that. You can totally get creative!

Joyce Ottati
      April 1, 2018 at 11:08 am

Try sesame seeds poppy seeds plain or cinnamon and or cinnamon raisin. I’m doing sesame seeds today and next time I want to try cinnamon raisin. I also want to try making regular bread.

Kelly Young
    January 15, 2018 at 10:57 am

I chose to boil them but wished they were fluffier still, would you recommend adding more baking powder or boiling longer?

January 16, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Something I learned is that baking powder CAN go bad and lose its magic. Try adding a bit more or if yours is older using a fresh one. That should help! πŸ™‚

Chippy
    January 15, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Pretty sure I ate a bagel made using same exact recipe, my boyfriend’s mom made it and it was nothing short of A M A Z I N G! Now I must make them πŸ˜›

January 16, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Yay! They’re the best, enjoy!

Shawna
    January 15, 2018 at 6:01 pm

I just made these and ate one fresh out of the oven. It was so good! Thanks for the tips and FAQ. They were really helpful.

January 16, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Yum! I’m so glad you enjoyed it and found the FAQ helpful πŸ™‚

Bekki
    January 15, 2018 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for the recipe 😊
    I’m making them right now. I saw on one of the recipes posted to let them rest for an hour before boiling. We are giving that a try.

January 16, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Let me know if that helps! πŸ™‚

Gina
    January 15, 2018 at 6:26 pm

I can follow a recipe, not create one. If I’m using gluten free flour what else do I need to add (and proper proportions) so they are not so dense? Thanks!!

Katie F.
    January 16, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I tried gf version. Boiled them. Consistency seemed good. Seasoned with egg wash. Looked great after oven bake. Then the middle was so sticky and undercooked. And has no taste other than floury. Any suggestions??

Katie F.
    January 16, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Ok. I sliced them in half. And reseasoned in middle again. Them baked them a bit longer and broiled at end. Added a little butter when ate. They were much better. But still looking for suggestions if anyone has done gf.

January 18, 2018 at 8:14 am

Hmm I have to try making gluten free ones myself. Others have posted that adding an egg helps with the consistency. What kind of flour are you using?

Peg
    January 16, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Hi! I am still on points plus. Do you know how many points per bagek for that ww program?’ Thanks so much

January 18, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Hi Peg, I looked it up and one bagel if you use my recipe is 5 points plus!

Jacqui q
    January 16, 2018 at 10:45 pm

Bella, quick question i just baked them for 20min on 450 and they were beautiful and golden brown (little too dark on bottom) but still sticky inside. Are they suppose to be sticky inside. If I cook longer I may burn them. Suggestions?

January 18, 2018 at 8:13 am

Others have told me that this has happened to them as well and they were able to solve it by slicing in half and baking a bit more. Hope that helps! Maybe next time decrease the boiling time as well.

Kathy Johnson
    January 17, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Has anyone tried these using almond or coconut yogurt and gluten-free flour? (Milk, egg, soy, and wheat allergies 😐) I’m always looking for easy bread recipes! 😊

January 18, 2018 at 8:11 am

I have a container of Kite Hill almond greek in my fridge to try this with when I’m done with whole 30. If you try it please comment or email and let me know how it works! πŸ™‚ I know that it works with gluten free flour, I would add an egg white or egg though to make sure it gets fluffy enough πŸ™‚

Mary
    January 17, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Just made some for the first time and they came out great. (I boiled them before I baked them) I made my own everything topping with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, granulated garlic powder and course kosher salt.. Super easy and delicious!!
    Thank you for posting this magnificent recipe.

January 18, 2018 at 8:08 am

You’re so welcome! I used to make my own everything seasoning before I lived close to a trader joes. So glad you liked them and thank you for letting me know πŸ™‚

Linda J.
    January 18, 2018 at 10:48 am

These are so fabulous. I used your recipe and baked them without boiling. I might experiment with boiling them next time for fun. Have you made a bunch and frozen the dough? If so, how long can you freeze it? I can seem making a ton of this and using it in recipes all week long. I have missed bagels so much. I can’t thank you enough. πŸ™‚ My son and I might use the dough for pizzas for dinner tonight. Thanks!

January 18, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Linda, I’m so glad you enjoyed them!!! They’re a favorite in my house too. I have seen people refrigerate the dough and use it throughout the week with no problem. Be sure to bring it out and let it come closer to room temp or increase the baking time. Or you can make the bagels and freeze them! I use this dough for pizza, calzones, mini pies, etc.. Its so versatile!

Fakels | CabledSheep
    January 19, 2018 at 6:22 pm

[…] blogs. It kept getting rave reviews, so I figured it was worth trying. But I ended up using the 2 Ingredient Dough Bagels recipe on BellaGetsWWaisted instead, which calls for boiling them before […]

Laura
    January 20, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Hi Bella! My husband and I split a deli everything bagel most mornings for our breakfast, sharing due to the high points. I was so excited to try your recipe! DELICIOUS! They have a bit of a different chew than a purchased bagel, but similar to homemade ones I’ve done in the past. Thank you for including the boiling step, I think it makes a difference in the crust :O) I baked mine at 450 F in a convection oven that calibrates pretty accurately for 20 minutes and got a lovely crust. So much faster than a traditional recipe, it would be nothing to whip a couple up in the morning and enjoy straight from the oven!

January 21, 2018 at 9:22 pm

Yay! So glad you’re enjoying them Laura! They’re a nice substitute for the real thing πŸ™‚

Kim L
    January 20, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Hi there!!! I was reading the thread and wanted to let everyone know that the Everything Topper from Tastefully Simple was a seasonal product that isn’t offered anymore however if you want information on other seasonings that TS has to offer let me know and I can help!! Their Garlic Garlic and Onion Onion and the Spinach/Herb was amazing on the bagels!!

January 21, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Kim!

Susan Mako
    January 20, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Does anyone know if you can use a bread maker to make the dough, then remove it to boil and/or bake?

January 21, 2018 at 9:15 pm

I have not tried myself but I assume you can.

Misty
    January 21, 2018 at 3:43 pm

I have no idea what I’m doing wrong, but I’ve made these twice and they have not turned out right. The outsides look beautiful, just like bagels. The inside is like uncooked dough. I’ve cooked them longer, 5-10 mins, no help. Figured I would try toasting the next day, they were hard and looked bad the next day… i fallowed the directions exactly, except made my own flour… ahhhh!!!

January 21, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Hi Misty! I’m sorry they’re not turning out for you. I’m wondering if maybe your baking powder is older and might be causing the dough not to rise in the middle… You could always skip boiling and bake them. I’m sorry I can’t pinpoint exactly what the issue might be!

Cathi P
      January 22, 2018 at 11:28 am

Try boiling them a little longer – I had the same problem and boiling a bit longer helped.

Terry McDonald
        January 26, 2018 at 10:06 am

I did the boiling longer and did not work any better?

Terry McDonald
      January 26, 2018 at 10:05 am

Misty I am having the same problem with mine and yuck ! I used the self rising flour so your flour isn’t the problem I put onions in my dough so thought that was the problem but you didn’t so that isn’t the problem ether ?
      Maybe we just don’t like Dougie bagels and everyone else dose LOL

Christina
    January 23, 2018 at 2:11 pm

I love these bagels! Do you think adding fresh blueberries to the dough would turn out okay? Thanks for sharing!

January 29, 2018 at 3:24 pm

I think that would be delicious! My supervisor at work made cinnamon raisin and said they were delicious.

Almost Syn Free Bagels | Slimming World Recipes
    January 23, 2018 at 11:14 pm

[…] – I believe the original recipe was from The Slow Roast Italian, and many others such as Bella Gets Waisted have recreated it ever since, making flatbreads, rolls, but the most popular choice appears to be […]

Terry McDonald
    January 26, 2018 at 10:00 am

Ok made these yesterday they looked great nice and brown BUT when I went to eat one they were doughie inside yuck ! I even put them in the toaster ? Now know that I put raw onions in the dough was that the problem or are they just always like this ?

Jo Sepulveda
    January 27, 2018 at 11:30 pm

Wow! Thanks so much, these bagels are delicious!! Blows any store bought mini bagel away, and is very close to a bagel store bagel. I couldn’t make them fast enough, my family loved them. My only suggestion is to roll the individual bagel dough in a ball and make a hole by putting your finger through the center. The dough will not fall apart when boiled because you are not trying to connect a piece of rope. Thanks again, this recipe will be made weekly in my house!

January 29, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Yay! I’m SO glad! I actually added that suggestion to the tips. Thanks for letting me know how much your family is enjoying them πŸ™‚

Barbara
    January 31, 2018 at 4:43 pm

I used imitation sour cream (found in dollar store). Worked beautifully but be t time I 2ill boil &irst

February 1, 2018 at 11:06 am

Glad to hear it!

Jane
    February 1, 2018 at 8:33 am

Has anyone tried them with almond or coconut flour?

February 1, 2018 at 11:06 am

I have not! πŸ™ Its on my to-do list.

Bette Luksha-Gamme
        February 2, 2018 at 7:57 pm

That was my question.
        I would like to use coconut flour

Jane
    February 1, 2018 at 11:11 am

Please let us know how it turns out!

Neil P
    February 3, 2018 at 7:03 pm

These are GREAT! The instructions worked perfectly and they came out great the first time. Thanks for an awesome recipe!!

February 5, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Thank you so much Neil! I’m so glad you liked them πŸ™‚

Ronda
    February 4, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I just made these for the third time. I had used a recipe with slightly different baking instructions before, but your instructions are better. I doubled the recipe, boiled and baked two bagels, and just baked the other two. My husband and I each had one half of each kind of bagel. I knew which was which, but I just told him that they were bagel A and bagel B. He didn’t notice much texture difference, but I preferred the texture of the boiled bagel. My husband felt that there was less of an aftertaste in the boiled bagel. So, from now on, it’s going to be boiled bagels for us!!

FYI, I used Stonyfield Farms fat-free Greek Yogurt, Pillsbury self-rising flour, and topped the bagels with a sprinkling of Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel seasoning.

February 5, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback Ronda!!! I ‘m happy to hear you guys put them to a taste test. I prefer the boiled bagels as well πŸ™‚

Linda
    February 8, 2018 at 8:32 pm

I’ve made these several times. I don’t build them. Baked some in my air fryer and some in regular oven. All were delicious. Today I made the one cup flour version and added a tablespoon of Italian seasoning with the flour. It was delicious with the EBTB topping. Tomorrow I’m using that combo for pizza. Thanks for your help.

February 9, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Yay so glad you are enjoying them πŸ™‚

Linda
    February 8, 2018 at 8:33 pm

I don’t boil them (oops)

Barbara
    February 11, 2018 at 8:55 am

Can you use a air fryer ?

February 18, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Yes! 325 for 10-12 minutes.

Cathy
    February 18, 2018 at 8:33 pm

I have been making the dough for pizza, biscuits, calzones, etc. I find if I do 1/2 C self rising flour and 1/3C non fat Greek yogurt plus whatever is left on the spoon, it seems to make the dough easy enough to work with without all the stickiness. I mix it with my hands and pound out the dough for pizzas and calzones without flour on my hands. I might have to add a little when I get it pounded out almost all the way but not much is needed, not like when I was using a full 1/2C of Greek yogurt. I’m really excited to do the bagels and check out the rest of your site. I just stumbled on your blog on accident, definitely looking forward to more recipes!!

February 25, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the great tips!! I hope you enjoy my other recipes as well! Thanks for the comment! πŸ™‚

Maria
    February 24, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Second time I tried these, and to me they have a weird egg flavor. I used Fage 0%. The first time I put egg wash on & the second time, I didn’t add any egg. It still had the same weird flavor. Any tips? I really want to like these.

March 7, 2018 at 11:06 am

Hmm, maybe try egg white only. Or do you think it could be the tang from the yogurt?

Stephanie Marshall
    February 26, 2018 at 7:56 pm

These bagels are WONDERFUL! I was specifically looking for a 2-Ingredient bagel recipe that boiled the bagels first. Because otherwise it’s just bread shaped like a bagel, right? My husband says this is the best bagel he’s ever had! I can’t believe how easy they are to make. I wish I could attach a picture of the yummy breakfast sandwich with egg and tomatoes I had this morning.

March 3, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Yessss!!! I’m so glad you’re loving them. I’m on team boil too! Thanks so much for your comment!

Mary Feldner
    March 4, 2018 at 4:54 pm

My first attempt and perfection! So easy and delicious! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

March 7, 2018 at 11:05 am

You’re so welcome!! Thanks for letting me know πŸ™‚

Susan
    March 6, 2018 at 11:53 am

I have been wanting to make these for a long time. Has anyone tried either whole wheat flour, half whole wheat and half AP or used all white whole wheat?

March 7, 2018 at 11:05 am

Hi Susan I believe I got an email from you! I haven not personally, but I think it will turn out great!

Mary I Davin
    March 8, 2018 at 7:20 pm

What a disaster with my first attempt at making just 1/2 the recipe. They failed because I had to use way more than just 1/2 cup flour, even though I drained the lactose free organic yogurt to get 1/2 cup. Initially, I only used 3/4 tsp baking powder, but didn’t think to increase the bkg powder for the added flour. I did use room temp whole milk as a wash after boiling the two bagels, rather than wasting a whole egg. I liked the outside texture and color, but the inside of the bagel never rose to full height and was rather doughy and heavy even after 40 mins of baking.
    I will make them again though, using real greek yogurt, self rising flour and hope for the best.

Susan Kolpack
    March 29, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I am new to this blog.

I have a question I didn’t see answered. When you add more flour, it is regular flour or the self rising flour?

I am so excited to try these. I am on Weight Watchers and lan to top them with an egg for my 3 point breakfast. Thank you for inventing them.

Susan

April 8, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Hi Susan, I am using self-rising flour for dusting the surface! Thanks for following!

Joyce Ottati
    April 1, 2018 at 10:53 am

Can the dough be made in a bread machine for a larger portion of bagels and frozen as well as long they are cut in half first.

April 8, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I haven’t tried myself, but I don;t see why not!