Fridays at our house are burger nights! I love to mix up traditional burgers with fun flavors, like truffles. I admit, when I hear truffles I’m a little intimidated, but fear not truffles aren’t just for fine dining. This recipe calls for truffle salt, I use Trader Joe’s or this one from Amazon. Opt for extra lean ground beef to save some points and a lower point bacon. I personally love Aldi brand center cut bacon! Points may vary depending on what kind of bacon you use. I top this burger with caramelized onions, bacon, and a roasted garlic aioli– let me tell you it is divine!
Truffle Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
3 sp per burger (without aioli), makes 4 burgers
For the burgers:
16 oz extra lean ground beef
1 tsp truffle salt
1 tsp onion powder
Pinch of fresh ground pepper
4 slices low point bacon
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 large onion, sliced
4 TB Mayo (I use homemade)
2 cloves garlic, roasted and pressed or finely minced
Squeeze of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by making your toppings, in a medium skillet on medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add onions and allow to carmelize on medium-low or low for about 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Fry bacon to desired crunchiness, set aside.
- For the aioli, combine mayo, roasted garlic, squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper and mix together. You’ll have some left over!
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, truffle salt, and onion powder. Combine with a fork, but don’t over work it. Form into 4 equal sized patties using your hands. Press your thumb into the middle to make a small indentation in the burger.
- You can grill or pan fry these burgers. Grill method: place the burger on a medium to medium high grill and grill for 5 minutes per side for medium. Pan fry method: in a large skillet on medium-high for 5-6 minutes per side.
- Wrap burgers in lettuce wraps or buns, top with 1 tsp aioli, 1 slice of bacon, and carmelized onions.